Friday, August 21, 2009

A day at the Shelburne Museum 8/19/09 (in progress)

The first building you go into is a large silo with a temporary display of vintage motorcycles. I don't know what, if any, connection it may have to the museum itself. But motorcycles might have been an interest of the founders of the museum or something. I have a bad habit of not reading the plaques that go along with the displays. Consequently, I sometimes don't know how the subject matter of some of my photos fits into the rest of the displays there. I guess I don't read them all because it would take much more time to go through the displays. But you sure miss a lot by doing that.









Me and the chillin :)



Aunt Karen and the chillin...tried to get the pretty background in.



The next display on circus memorabilia was in a horseshoe-shaped barn. I think it was Barnum and Bailey stuff. But, again, I didn't read the displays much. On the inside, along what would be the outer curve of the horseshoe was one very long display of circus miniatures handcarved by one person. Along what would be the inner curve of the horseshoe was full-sized carousel horses and other carousel animals as well as other means of conveyance used in the circus procession. I loved the minitures.













The founder of the museum and his wife used to go on big game hunting expeditions (mostly in the Canadian Rockies) with friends of theirs. These are some of their prized kills. I'm not big on taxidermed critters but standing near these things really gives you quite an impression of their sizes.







Entering the rear of the railcar that was attached to the locomotive in the picture below it. The interior of the car and the train station looked like something out of an episode of The Wild, Wild West.





Approaching the steamboat Ticonderoga, also decorated to the period of its heyday.













































No comments: